BECOME A CHAMPION FOR EDUCATION
Thank you for your interest in joining Scholar Career Coaching After-School Mentoring Program. We are recruiting volunteer mentors to serve the students in our mentoring program at Atlantic High & Boynton High for the academic year of 2019-2020 (August – May). If you are a working professional, graduate student or retiree you are encouraged to apply.
Established in December 2012, Scholar Career Coaching assists high school college-bound students, with a focus on ESL (English as a Second Language) students in Title I schools. Our curriculum emphasis on career planning, college readiness, financial literacy, and soft skills.
Volunteers are encouraged to only volunteer at one mentoring site!
- *Atlantic High School (Every other Wednesdays at 3:00 pm-5:00 pm)
- *Boynton Beach High School (Every other Thursdays at 3:00 pm-5:00 pm)
We provide complimentary mentoring services to students in grades 11th -12th. The program is designed to give students the opportunity to interact with passionate mentors who share similar academic and career interests. In addition, we bring outside presenters, motivational and informational speakers who share their stories and provide inspiration and useful information and resources to our students.
Primary Roles & Responsibilities:
- Mentors must follow our curriculum and assist students with variety of activities. Curriculum activities includes: Resume/cover letter writing, learning dress code, mock interview simulations, exploring college and career options, how to budget for college, finding and applying for scholarships, reviewing scholarship essays and other academic needs.
- *Must be over age 21.
- *Must pass a County, State, and Federal Criminal Checks.
- *Must be sensitive to people of different educational, economic, cultural backgrounds.
- *Must enjoy working with students.
- *Must live in Palm Beach or Broward County (Local Mentors Only).
- *Must be a working professional, graduate student, or retiree.
- *Must have the ability to communicate with students openly and without judgment.
- Time Commitment/Mentoring Schedule:
- *Must serve as a committed and consistent mentor throughout school academic year.
- *Volunteers are needed preferably an entire school year (9-month period, 18 weeks).
- *Must be able to volunteer every other Wednesdays or Thursdays at 3:00 pm-5:00 pm
- *Must be able to commit to mentoring program schedule.
- Steps to Begin Mentoring (Getting Started):
- *Complete online application
- *Provide personal references
- *Informational interview
- *Complete and pass background check
- *Complete mentor training
- *Sign all required documents
- *Register at assigned school mentoring site as a volunteer to satisfy the required background check
- **WE ARE RECRUITING MENTORS FOR FALL 2019 – SPRING 2020**
Serious Inquiries ONLY