Scholar Career Coaching is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that was created to help South Florida high school ESL students with career planning, life skills, and college readiness. SCC’s mentoring platform assists students by partnering them with graduate students, successful professionals, and retirees in different industries.
Through our after-school mentoring program and many other resources, we coach and motivate the special group of students that concurrently show high need and high potential. Our commitment is to them, their families and our society. Scholar Career Coaching’s mission is to coach, motivate and support South Florida high school students, particularly students who speak English as a second language (ESL).
How Do We Help?
- Between 2014 and 2016, more than 50 students at Atlantic High School and Boynton Beach High School benefited from our targeted mentoring programs delivered in person by our dedicated volunteers.
- To date, Scholar Career Coaching has awarded 10 college scholarships to local graduating seniors, thanks to their generous sponsors.
- In our Satisfaction Survey for the 2014-2015 school year, 100% of our mentored students rated the program Excellent or Very Good. 100% said that our mentors helped improve their classroom performance. 93% described a number of indirect personal benefits due to our mentoring sessions. 75% expressed the desire for longer mentoring sessions.
MENTORING PROGRAM GOALS
- Reducing high school drop outs in Palm Beach County.
- Increasing attitudes and beliefs towards importance of education.
- Increasing educational aspirations.
- Increasing student’s interest in staying in school.
- Improving study habits.
Employment Skills (career planning)– Because our goal is to direct our students towards maximum value to them and society, we encourage the path to higher education. Yet, we also help them develop the essential soft skills needed for resume-building, interviewing and successfully maintaining employment..
Tailored Programs (College readiness)– We have provided after-school mentoring programs at both Atlantic and Boynton Beach high schools. Students partner with mentors who share similar goals and interests. In the process, we help students understand the connection between their goals with the needed academic path.
Scholarships (Financial Assistance)– Thanks to our generous donors, we help promising high school seniors get a step closer to funding their college aspirations. Scholarships are open to all graduating seniors in the tri-county area. Winners are selected on criteria that includes grades, essay submission and civic responsibility with additional consideration for first in family to attend college, ESL status and program participation. All scholarship funds go directly to their university of choice. Every student is encouraged to apply and all applications are considered.
Mentors and Speakers (lifeskills)– We search our community for well-regarded professionals, retirees, and recent college graduates who are willing to commit to helping our students develop the habits and skills that will be critical for their success. We bring outside motivational and informational speakers who share their stories and provide inspiration to our students.