Founded in December 2012, Scholar Career Coaching is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that was created to help South Florida high school students, with a focus on ESL (English as a Second Language). Through our after-school mentoring program and many other resources, we coach and motivate students that are identified as high need and high potential. Our commitment is to them, their families and our society. Our curriculum emphasis on career planning, college readiness, financial literacy and soft skills.
Our mission is to coach, motivate and support students through mentoring services and scholarships– which is strengthened by the vision of Scholar Career Coaching to address the needs of high potential and high need students.
HOW IT WORKS
Through our after-school mentoring program, ScholarCC partners successful professionals, retirees, and college/graduate students with the special group of students that concurrently show high need and high potential. While these passionate volunteers now have established themselves, many of them at one time faced the same questions, doubts, and struggles that their young mentees currently face. Having traveled similar paths, these mentors are in prime positions to provide positive guidance and encouragement to the next generation leaders.
We have a strong and mandatory curriculum to prepare all of our students for college and/or the workforce.
Our organization is guided by the following goals:
- Increase attitudes and beliefs towards the importance of career, education, and managing personal finances.
- Increase college and career life aspirations.
- Providing scholarships for books and/or partial first-year tuition.
HOW WE HELP
- Between 2014 and 2017, we have engaged over 30 volunteer mentors, awarded 15 scholarships and served over 100 students from our targeted mentoring programs delivered in person at Atlantic High & Boynton High by our dedicated mentors.
- In our recent participation satisfaction survey, 100% of students said they learned skills from their mentors that clarified choices toward career paths. 85% percent of our mentored students rated the program excellent or very good. 75% percent stated that having a mentor helped them perform better in school. 75% percent felt more capable and confident to succeed academically from the mentoring relationship.
CAREER PLANNING – Because our goal is to direct our students towards maximum value to them and society, we encourage the path to higher education. Yet, we also help them develop the essential soft skills needed for resume-building, interviewing and successfully maintaining employment.
COLLEGE READINESS – At our after-school mentoring programs, students partner with mentors who share similar goals and interests. In the process, we help students understand the connection between their goals with the needed academic path.
SOFT SKILLS – We search our community for well-regarded professionals, retirees, and recent college graduates who are willing to commit to helping our students develop the habits and skills that will be critical for their success. We bring outside presenters, motivational and informational speakers who share their stories and provide inspiration and useful information and resources to our students.
SCHOLARSHIPS – Thanks to our generous donors, we help promising high school seniors get a step closer to funding their college aspirations. Scholarships are open to all graduating seniors in the tri-county area. Winners are selected on criteria that include grades, essay submission and civic responsibility with additional consideration for first in the family to attend college, ESL status, and program participation. All scholarship funds go directly to their university of choice. Every student is encouraged to apply and all applications are considered.